Stories...to encourage a deep relationship with other learners

English: Graffiti in Bethlehem Polski: Graffit...
English: Graffiti in Bethlehem Polski: Graffiti w Betlejem Deutsch: Ein Graffiti in Betlehem (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Clearly, I am a storyteller and I believe strongly in the power of image(s) and the interconnection of other media to share narrative. Much of my thinking and work is related to this. Recently, I blogged about the need for an open source image collection so we at VCU might be better able to tell our stories and teach through their power. 

VCU Student Commons, Monroe Park Campus
VCU Student Commons, Monroe Park Campus (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
In the Wideo blog post of August 5, 2014, the notion that “Visual Storytelling is timeless and mighty” is presented from the perspective of advertising.  This blog shares interesting thoughts, but it is clearly about marketing. However, it made me start asking myself questions and speculating some answers.

What are the differences between a myth and a narrative?

English: Flag of the Navajo Nation Diné bizaad...
English: Flag of the Navajo Nation Diné bizaad: Diné Bikéyah (Naabeehó Bikéyah) bidah naatʼaʼí (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

What are the differences between story and myth?  

As we tell stories of our own development, are they about something we want to come true/develop or are they about something that exists?

Telling these stories forces me to ask:

Who am I (are we)?

What examples can we provide (individually or collectively)?

What do I (we) want to become?

What actions will I (we) pursue individually and with others to achieve our vision?

Again, the Wideo blog is clearly about marketing. But, I wonder how this information might apply if we think about the meaning of "brand" from institutional, organizational, individual and most importantly, educational perspective(s). How about changing the idea of “opportunities for media to create a deep relationship with customers”, to using resources to create more opportunities for media to encourage a deep relationship with other learners?
Standard language: Ptolemaic hieroglyphics fro...
Standard language: Ptolemaic hieroglyphics from the Temple of Kom Ombo. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I think these are interesting questions and ideas to explore. 



No comments:

Post a Comment