Multiculturalism Revisited

Rethinking multiculturalism.

My colleague asked some participants in a workshop, "Are you a Mac or PC?" As I heard that frequently asked question, realized that we think of multiculturalism from a traditional point of view. We look at race, ethnicity & regional areas as the consideration of culture; which we should. However I realize the question: "are you a Mac or PC?", implies an investigation of the technological culture in which one works and lives. I believe this cultural question goes beyond the hardware to the way we live, so the question(s) might be: Are you computerized or are you not? Are you stationary or are you mobile? Do you go out and seek information or do you subscribe to information to be delivered to you? These and other questions make me pause to rethink what it means to consider multiculturalism and my teaching and learning practice.

PS: I consider myself part of a mobile culture & this writing was actually dictated into Dragon, on the iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment